It’s one other busy week of Champions League motion because the remaining matches within the final 16 happen on Tuesday and Wednesday. Who will make it to the quarter-finals?
The Premier League leaders boast a two-goal benefit in opposition to their Bundesliga opponents forward of the ‘residence’ sport in Budapest, however Pep Guardiola will probably be taking nothing without any consideration in a contest that has thrown up some unwelcome surprises for his staff through the years.
The Metropolis boss rested quite a few key males on the weekend in opposition to Fulham with Kevin De Bruyne, Phil Foden and Ilkay Gundogan among the many unused substitutes, whereas Raheem Sterling was excluded from the squad at Craven Cottage. Anticipate him to go sturdy right here.
The primary leg of this tie – additionally performed in Budapest – was a one-sided affair through which Metropolis had been capable of maintain Gladbach at arm’s size after objectives from Bernardo Silva and Gabriel Jesus.
What has occurred since
Metropolis’s run of 21 consecutive wins got here to an finish within the derby defeat to Manchester United, however they’ve since proven that to be a blip with massive wins over Southampton and Fulham.
Gladbach, so poor within the first leg, have endured a dismal run of outcomes, additionally shedding all 4 of their matches since then, falling into the underside half of the Bundesliga following the information that coach Marco Rose is leaving for Borussia Dortmund on the finish of the season.
- Manchester Metropolis are unbeaten of their 5 video games in opposition to Borussia Monchengladbach within the UEFA Champions League (W4 D1), scoring at the least two objectives in every of their 4 victories.
- Since beating Shakhtar Donetsk 6-0 and 4-0 in consecutive Champions League video games within the group stage, Borussia Monchengladbach have misplaced three in a row and failed to attain in the newest two.
- Sergio Aguero has scored 19 objectives in 28 Champions League video games throughout Pep Guardiola’s time in cost – if he finds the web on this sport, he would equal Thomas Muller (20) and path solely Lionel Messi (43) for many objectives scored within the competitors below Guardiola.
Actual Madrid need to progress to the quarter-finals for the primary time in three seasons after falling at this hurdle in every of the earlier two campaigns however they’re nicely positioned to undergo in opposition to Atalanta after profitable the primary leg 1-0 in Italy.
The Serie A facet – quarter-finalists final time round – had been lowered to 10 males in that sport and with a quota Gian Piero Gasperini’s entertaining facet will probably be assured of scoring the away aim that might set nerves jangling within the Santiago Bernabeu on Tuesday night.
Madrid are prone to be with out Marcelo, Dani Carvajal, Alvaro Odriozola and Mariano Diaz via harm, whereas key midfielder Casemiro is suspended for this one too.
However the massive information for Madrid was the return to health of iconic captain Sergio Ramos for the weekend win over Elche and the 34-year-old defender will anticipate to steer them out once more.
Remo Freuler won’t be accessible for Atalanta following his crimson card within the first leg. They might flip to Mario Pasalic who was omitted for that one however scored twice on the weekend.
Atalanta had been good worth for a lead to Bergamo however there was a sting within the tail for the Italian facet when the 13-time champions of Europe scored late on. Ferland Mendy’s 86th-minute aim leaves Madrid nicely positioned to progress going into the second leg.
What has occurred since
Zinedine Zidane’s facet stay unbeaten since however solely due to this persevering with knack for late objectives. Vinicius equalised within the 89th minute in opposition to Actual Sociedad, whereas Karim Benzema levelled it up within the 88th minute in opposition to Atletico Madrid within the derby.
The French ahead needed to rating twice late on to show it round in opposition to Elche so Atalanta will probably be hopeful of scoring the primary aim – one thing that they’ve managed in profitable three of their 4 matches because the first leg, scoring 10 instances within the course of.
- Actual Madrid have progressed from eight of their final 9 Champions League knockout ties once they have gained the primary leg away from residence. Nonetheless, the one time they had been eradicated on this run got here at this actual stage in 2019 once they had been overwhelmed 4-1 by Ajax.
- The truth is, Actual Madrid are winless of their final 4 residence video games within the knockout phases of the Champions League, together with defeats in every of the final two. They’ve by no means beforehand misplaced three consecutive residence video games within the knockouts of the European Cup or Champions League.
- Atalanta are on the longest present run of away victories of any staff within the Champions League, having gained every of their final 5. They’ve scored 14 objectives throughout these 5 video games, whereas protecting 4 clear sheets within the course of.
Olivier Giroud’s spectacular overhead kick separated the perimeters in Bucharest, giving Chelsea a priceless one-goal benefit over Atletico Madrid heading again to Stamford Bridge.
However Diego Simeone’s facet are La Liga leaders for a purpose and make for harmful opponents on English soil – as Premier League champions Liverpool discovered final yr.
Chelsea are prone to be with out Tammy Abraham and Thiago Silva once more due to harm however the greater challenge for Thomas Tuchel is prone to be his suspended midfield duo.
Mason Mount and Jorginho had been each booked within the first leg and are unavailable at Stamford Bridge which can depart Chelsea reliant on N’Golo Kante and Mateo Kovacic.
Atletico had been with out key gamers Jose Gimenez and Yannick Carrasco for the primary leg due to harm however each have since returned to full health and can be found to play.
England worldwide Kieran Trippier was additionally absent for the primary sport whereas serving a suspension for a breach of betting rules however he’s additionally anticipated to begin.
Atletico had been their standard awkward selves within the first encounter however struggled to get a lot going within the remaining third of the pitch and Chelsea had been deserved winners. Tuchel’s staff had been usually strong on the again and produced the sport’s one second of magic via Giroud.
What has occurred since
Tuchel continues to be unbeaten as Chelsea coach following his arrival in late January. The truth is, his staff haven’t even conceded because the first leg, beating Liverpool at Anfield in that run.
Atletico are additionally unbeaten however have been barely much less convincing. They’ll have been dissatisfied to concede a late equaliser within the Madrid derby and had been held to a goalless draw away to Getafe on the weekend as their grip on the Spanish title continues to weaken.
- Atletico Madrid have misplaced three UEFA Champions League matches in opposition to Chelsea, their joint-most in opposition to an opponent together with Bayern Munich and Actual Madrid.
- Of their historical past in European competitors, Chelsea have by no means been eradicated in a two-legged knockout tie after profitable the primary leg away from residence (progressed from all 13).
- Chelsea striker Olivier Giroud is averaging a aim each 38 minutes within the UEFA Champions League this season, the very best ratio in a season of any participant to play at the least 200 minutes that season within the competitors’s historical past.
The reigning European champions had been in imperious kind within the first leg and have all however secured their place within the quarter-finals already barring an outrageous comeback by Lazio.
Bayern stay with out Corentin Tolisso, Douglas Costa and Tanguy Nianzou via harm and are unlikely to danger David Alaba after he missed the weekend sport with a knock.
Lazio, with the main target having shifted to home issues, may relaxation gamers of their very own for the journey to Munich and will probably be with out Manuel Lazzari and Luis Felipe because of harm.
Bayern overpowered their Italian opponents within the Stadio Olimpico with first-half objectives from Robert Lewandowski, Jamal Musiala and Leroy Sane. When Francesco Acerbi put via his personal internet quickly after the interval, a rout appeared possible however Joaquin Correa did pull one again.
What has occurred since
Lazio’s defeat was adopted by two additional losses away to Bologna and Juventus – their worst run of outcomes all season – however a late winner in opposition to Crotone marked a return to kind.
Bayern, in the meantime, roll relentlessly on, placing 5 previous Cologne, scoring 4 instances in opposition to Borussia Dortmund within the der Klassiker after which profitable 3-1 away to Werder Bremen.
- Bayern Munich are internet hosting Lazio for the primary time in European competitors. Not one of the final 21 sides dealing with Bayern away from residence for the primary time within the European Cup or Champions League have gained (W20 D1).
- Lazio have solely gained one in every of their final 15 away video games within the Champions League (D5 L9) and are winless within the final eight on this run (D4 L4). Their final away win within the competitors was again in September 2003, profitable 2-0 away at Besiktas within the group stage.
- No facet within the historical past of the European Cup or Champions League has ever progressed from a knockout tie after shedding the primary leg by three or extra objectives at residence – previous to this season, that has occurred on 88 events with all 88 sides being eradicated.
Champions League key dates
Quarter-final and semi-final attracts: March 19
Quarter-finals first legs: April 6/7
Quarter-finals second legs: April 13/14
Semi-finals first legs: April 27/28
Semi-finals second legs: Might 4/5
Ultimate: Might 29 (Atatürk Olympic Stadium)