The ladies’s razor is not merely supposed to generate the “pink tax,” aka the next value for ladies’s merchandise simply because they’re made for ladies. Relatively, these razors at the moment are made with girls’s habits, private preferences and comfort in thoughts. They’re designed to hug curved areas and small spots with out nicking, for instance, and infrequently include perks like built-in cleaning soap to lubricate pores and skin.
We examined 15 top-rated razors — from supersharp, single-blade security razors to conventional five-blade variations — on CNN Underscored’s seek for the very best razor for clean legs, underarms, bikini strains and past. Whether or not you’re diligently shaving year-round or solely whipping out a razor as soon as summer time rolls round, after greater than a month of shaving (and nicking), we selected three standout razors:
Finest girls’s razor total
One other good razor for ladies
The Flamingo Razor has a extra substantial, weightier deal with with a rubber grip to make it simple to carry, and its cartridge is made to be versatile so you’ll be able to shave backward, sideways and the wrong way up with ease. It delivers an in depth shave, too, although not fairly to the extent of Billie.
Finest luxurious girls’s razor
Billie The Razor Starter Equipment
Allow us to depend the methods we liked the Billie razor. Significantly. We’ll start with the way in which it seems. We respect kind as a lot as operate, and Billie simply makes a fairly razor, with a cool, color-blocked design and a curved cartridge. The blade cartridge additionally incorporates a charcoal cleaning soap, which permits it to glide throughout the pores and skin, however doesn’t get slimy like some built-in soaps and moisturizing serums that we examined.
The blades had been tremendous sharp out of the field and eliminated hairs in a single swipe with out having to repeat to catch stubble. We didn’t must rinse hair out of the blades each two or three swipes, and there was zero irritation, even once we utilized antiperspirant immediately after shaving underarms with the Billie razor.
The razor itself can be comfy to make use of — the deal with has a rubber backing to supply a agency however comfy grip, so there’s no slipping.
An awesome perk: The razor comes with a “magic holder,” which is a small, magnetic base that sticks to the bathe wall through a putty that adheres irrespective of how steamy it will get. You additionally get an additional cartridge, making the starter equipment a wonderful worth at $9.
The Flamingo Razor is extra of a minimalist than Billie by way of design, nevertheless it additionally has options that set it other than the pack. The razor cartridge is longer within the entrance than its friends, with rounded edges on the edges, which provides it the flexibility to flatten pores and skin as you glide the razor over, due to this fact making hair removing simpler. We discovered it supplied extra management when shaving than different razors, particularly people who solely had blades and little else on the cartridge.
The cartridge has a built-in hinge, giving the deal with a few 90-degree vary of movement. That made it extremely simple to shave in numerous instructions on each underarms and legs, and it minimized the quantity of twisting and contortion normally required to shave each final spot. Additionally, the deal with has a nonslip end and ridges on the underside, which make it particularly simple to grip.
Whereas the razor itself doesn’t include a holder, when you spring for The Shave Set ($16, shopflamingo.com), you’ll get a mini shave gel, physique lotion and a bathe hook, which suctions onto the wall. It stayed put even after eradicating and resticking it a couple of occasions.
Oui the Individuals the Single Rose Gold Security Razor
You’ve obtained handy it to this razor, which did nick our tester a few occasions, however was nonetheless so good that we’ll simply name it a studying curve. If you happen to’ve by no means used a security razor earlier than, welcome to the membership. Assembling the security razor took a couple of minutes however was in any other case simple — simply unscrew the deal with, place the razor blade on the pinnacle after which reattach the deal with
We particularly appreciated the thorough assets out there on Oui the Individuals’s web site that stroll first-timers by way of the method, from unpacking the supplies to rinsing off the shave cream. Oui the Individuals’s razor comes with 10 individually wrapped blades, saved in slightly field that has a slot to securely insert your used blades. However we had been disillusioned that there wasn’t a storage possibility so it could possibly be saved prettily (and safely) within the bathe.
As skilled followers could already know, security razors require a novel method: The weighted head does a lot of the be just right for you, so that you don’t want to use strain. A light-weight contact was sufficient to comfortably grasp the textured steel deal with, which by no means felt slick. Nevertheless, outdated habits die exhausting, and our tester wound up with two nicks, one on the knee and the opposite on the again of the decrease calf. It’s a completely totally different fashion of shaving — assume quick, gentle strokes over small areas — and may take time to regulate. However it could be price studying: It delivered the closest shave we’ve ever seen, even taking down one cussed hair that was about to show into an ingrown state of affairs. It didn’t trigger any razor burn by any means, and the razor itself is a stunner. In case you have time and persistence, it’s as near an ideal shave as you may get.
We spent two months shaving and swiping with these razors, testing every at the least 3 times. We used them on totally different areas of the physique so as to account for all of the methods you would possibly use them. As we evaluated them, we took each side of the shaving expertise into consideration, from how the razor seems within the bathe to how shut the shave was.
We didn’t take a look at for greatest electrical razors for ladies, nor the very best face razor for ladies — as an alternative retaining the testing pool to traditional razors.
We designed a rubric to grade these numerous components, which we broke down into operate, construct, sturdiness and X-factors, corresponding to the worth:
- Closeness of shave: We checked for stubble left behind, or whether or not we needed to go over a spot a number of occasions to get it completely clean.
- Pores and skin irritation: Was the razor too abrasive? Redness and stinging had been two indicators we seemed for, each instantly after shaving and inside the first hour afterward.
- Hair clogging: We seemed to see whether or not the hair clogged the blades too incessantly, requiring fixed rinsing. The clogging may intrude with the closeness and thoroughness of the shave.
- Efficiency options: We factored in options that aren’t requirements, however good to have all the identical, like particular contouring of the cartridge, moisture strips or built-in cleaning soap, or any bodily parts that made shaving simpler.
- Consolation: Was the deal with comfy to carry, significantly when shaving in numerous instructions for areas just like the underarms and the bikini line?
- Grip: Nobody desires to drop a razor midshave, which is why we seemed for supplies that made the deal with simple to grip and minimized slipperiness.
- Aesthetic: Is it fairly? If you happen to (and anybody with entry to your bathe or tub) have to take a look at it daily, it’d as effectively be cute.
- On a regular basis put on: A razor may appear nice the primary time you employ it, however we checked out whether or not it will get dirty or dingy after a couple of weeks within the bathe. That was particularly vital for razors that had built-in cleaning soap.
- Indicators of harm: We dropped the razors within the bathe a couple of occasions and stepped on them to see how effectively the whole razor held up below strain — whether or not the cartridge fell off, the deal with snapped, or it simply didn’t carry out as effectively. We additionally let the razors languish for per week in a glass of water to see if the blades would rust.
- Worth: The extra cartridges included with the razor, the upper our rating. We like razors that supplied an amazing worth for the worth.
- Storage choices: We don’t love razors that sit on the sting of the bathtub and get caught there, so we seemed for straightforward storage choices that allowed razors to air dry with out getting dirty, be it a plastic clamshell or a magnetic bathe holder.
Utilizing the testing strategies above, we gave every razor a rating in every subcategory, then mixed these numbers for a most rating in every class, then totaled these numbers for a ultimate total rating. We broke down the scores as follows:
- Operate had a most of fifty factors: closeness of the shave (15), pores and skin irritation (15), whether or not the blades obtained clogged (10), particular options like swivel head, contouring, moisture strip (10).
- Construct had a most of 20 factors: consolation throughout use (10), deal with slipperiness (5), the way it seems (5).
- Sturdiness had a most of 20 factors: on a regular basis use (5), indicators of harm (15).
- X-factors had a most of 10 factors: worth (5), storage options (5).
Athena Membership The Razor Equipment ($9; athenaclub.com)
With this subscription providing, we had been big followers of the marginally thicker deal with and compact, rounded cartridge, which made it a simple match for small areas like underarms. However the cartridge fell off a couple of occasions when dropped, and we might have most popular a couple of ridges on the deal with for slightly extra management.
Schick Silk Contact-Up Face Razor ($6.65 for 3; amazon.com)
If there have been a face-only class, this is able to be a transparent winner. It dispatched upper-lip hair in a minute, is straightforward to make use of and, because it is available in a set of three, is nice worth.
Gillette Venus Swirl Flexiball Razor ($11.34; amazon.com)
This was our favourite of all of the Gillette Venus varieties, because it delivered a really shut shave. Nevertheless, there was no storage possibility included, and the rollerball didn’t appear so as to add a lot by way of versatility and maneuvering.
Solimo 5 Blade Razor for Ladies ($18.87; amazon.com)
With a whopping 12 cartridges and a bathe holder, this razor supplied the very best worth of the bunch. We seen slightly post-shave stubble and delicate irritation after shaving, which is the place it misplaced factors, however in any other case discovered it comfy to make use of, due to its rubbery grip.
Schick Hydro Silk TrimStyle Razor ($12.58; amazon.com)
We liked the flexibility of a razor-trimmer hybrid, and the truth that it included the battery was very a lot appreciated. The one disadvantage was that the thicker deal with (to accommodate the trimmer) wasn’t as comfy to carry, and the razor didn’t give a brilliant shut shave.
Gillette Venus Additional Easy Delicate Razor ($12.99; amazon.com)
We appreciated that this, as supposed, was mild sufficient for delicate pores and skin and didn’t trigger any irritation by any means. Plus, it’s just about indestructible and holds up effectively with on a regular basis use. Nevertheless, the blades didn’t ship as shut a shave as we needed.
Pleasure Razor ($10; joyandglee.com)
Out there individually or as a subscription, this gave us one of many closest shaves of all of the razors we examined, and it holds up very effectively with on a regular basis use. However we additionally seen some irritation and didn’t love the look of it within the bathe.
Gillette Venus Easy Razor Unique ($7.72 for razor and two refills; amazon.com)
We seen slightly irritation on the underarms after shaving with this one, and needed to repeat swipes to get each hair. Nevertheless, we’re followers of the comparatively small, curved cartridge, which made it simple to maneuver round contours, in addition to the grippy deal with.
Gillette Venus ComfortGlide White Tea Mini ($14.70; amazon.com)
The built-in cleaning soap bars are very handy — no shave gel wanted right here — however we discovered that they obtained slightly dingy after the primary use. Nevertheless, we appreciated the a number of cartridges and straightforward clamshell storage. A strong selection for touring.
Gillette Venus Snap Additional Easy Razor ($6.49; amazon.com)
This mini razor and case are handy sufficient for journey, however we discovered the quick, spherical deal with exhausting to grip, and fewer comfy to make use of than typical lengthy handles. Nevertheless, it did ship a reasonably shut shave and are available a packing-friendly case.
Schick Instinct Delicate Care Razor ($9.99; amazon.com)
Having a built-in shave cleaning soap is definitely environment friendly, nevertheless it additionally makes the whole design slightly clunky. We discovered this to be a bit too massive for underarms, so it was most helpful for shaving massive areas, just like the legs.
Maapilim Security Razor ($52; maapilim.com)
This security razor scored factors for an in depth shave and aesthetics, however we had been disillusioned that it didn’t include both razor blades or any directions, even on the web site. It may be greatest for skilled safety-razor followers solely.