Manchester Metropolis returned to kind with an exhilarating 5-2 win over Southampton that strikes them 14 factors clear on the prime of the desk.
Saints took the sport to the Premier League leaders however two targets apiece from Riyad Mahrez and Kevin De Bruyne underlined Metropolis’s superior high quality in an entertaining sport.
De Bruyne’s early effort had been cancelled out by James Ward-Prowse’s penalty however targets from Mahrez and Ilkay Gundogan secured Metropolis a two-goal benefit at half-time.
There was even time for extra VAR debate when Phil Foden gave the impression to be fouled by Alex McCarthy solely to be denied a penalty – seemingly resulting from his personal want to remain on his ft.
But it surely didn’t price Metropolis as additional second-half targets from Mahrez and De Bruyne – both facet of a Che Adams strike – ensured they shrugged off the derby defeat to Manchester United on Sunday, swiftly ending any speak of a dip in kind. Southampton keep in 14th place.
Man Metropolis: Ederson (6), Walker (6), Dias (6), Laporte (5), Zinchenko (7), Fernandinho (6), De Bruyne (8), Gundogan (7), Bernardo (6), Foden (9), Mahrez (9).
Subs: Torres (6), Aguero (6), Mendy (6).
Southampton: McCarthy (5), Bednarek (5), Stephens (5), Vestergaard (6), Salisu (5), Bertrand (6), Armstrong (6), Ward-Prowse (6), Djenepo (5), Redmond (6), Adams (6).
Subs: Tello (6), Diallo (6), Watts (6).
Man of the match: Phil Foden
How Metropolis overcame sprightly Saints
The away facet began a lot the brighter, dominating possession within the opening levels as their urgent sport prevented Metropolis from settling into their traditional passing rhythm.
However Metropolis have been in a position to rating from their first significant assault when Oleksandr Zinchenko raced away down the left, feeding Foden contained in the penalty space.
Foden’s shot was parried by McCarthy however the Saints goalkeeper might solely push the ball into the trail of De Bruyne who discovered the online through the underside of the crossbar.
Ralph Hasenhuttl’s facet have been undeterred regardless of the setback and when Nathan Redmond discovered house in a central space his measured effort pressured Ederson to concede a nook.
Jannik Vestergaard’s header from the next set play was blocked by the Metropolis goalkeeper however Aymeric Laporte pulled the defender again when he went for the follow-up.
Ward-Prowse duly transformed the ensuing penalty, slotting calmly past Ederson and parity was the least that Southampton deserved at that stage for an enterprising begin.
Pep Guardiola made 5 modifications following the weekend derby defeat with Kyle Walker, Aymeric Laporte, Fernandinho, Bernardo Silva and Phil Foden coming into the crew. Joao Cancelo, John Stones, Rodri, Raheem Sterling and Gabriel Jesus all made means.
There have been six modifications for Southampton together with the return of Alex McCarthy for Fraser Forster in purpose. Elsewhere, Jack Stephens and Mohamed Salisu got here in to bolster the again line whereas Moussa Dnejepo, Che Adams and Nathan Redmond have been all recalled.
Fortune did favour them on the half-hour mark, nevertheless, when McCarthy’s poor management allowed Foden in on purpose. The teen gave the impression to be clipped by the goalkeeper as he tried to take the ball spherical him however stayed on his ft and VAR didn’t intervene.
Metropolis have been aggrieved and there frustration would have solely grown had Ederson not been in a position to tip a dipping long-range effort from Ward-Prowse over the bar quickly after. As a substitute, some Mahrez magic modified the entire complexion of the match.
Firstly, he capitalised on a poor go by Adams to twist the ball low into the nook of the online from 20 yards to revive Metropolis’s benefit with 5 minutes of the half remaining.
In first-half stoppage time, the Algerian then struck the far put up with a right-footed effort that bounced properly again into the trail of the onrushing Gundogan who did the remaining.
One other mazy run from Mahrez seemed to have ended any hope of a Southampton comeback when his dancing ft carried him inside earlier than firing previous McCarthy but once more.
However when Bernardo Silva uncharacteristically put his crew in hassle on the different finish, Adams was in a position to cut back the deficit. It didn’t keep that means for lengthy.
With the sport remarkably stretched, De Bruyne was by way of once more for Metropolis. The Belgian’s assured end from the good Foden’s go introduced his second purpose of the night and Metropolis’s fifth.
There have been no additional targets regardless of substitute Ferran Torres going shut and Adams seeing an try dominated out for offside. Guardiola additionally giving a short cameo look to his membership’s report scorer Sergio Aguero.
However the factors had been determined by then. Manchester Metropolis’s blip lasted only one sport.
Man of the match: Phil Foden
Foden didn’t rating the purpose that his efficiency deserved however he did all the pieces however on his return to the beginning line-up.
After taking part in a key position within the opening purpose, he was unable so as to add considered one of his personal as a result of outstretched boot of McCarthy for which a penalty was controversially not awarded.
“I assumed it was 100 per cent a penalty,” Foden advised Sky Sports activities afterwards. “I do not know what occurred there.”
He handled that disappointment so as to add an additional two assists after the break. “I’m giving the person of the match award to Phil Foden due to his tactical and technical maturity,” stated former Manchester Metropolis defender Andy Hinchcliffe on co-commentary for Sky Sports activities.
“It was one other instance with this efficiency of why he ought to be taking part in in each sport. He has been good.”
- Manchester Metropolis have scored 5+ targets in 23 Premier League video games since Pep Guardiola took cost in 2016-17, doing so in 12 video games greater than every other facet within the competitors throughout this era (Liverpool and Tottenham subsequent on 11 every).
- Southampton conceded 5+ targets in a Premier League sport for the 18th time – solely Newcastle (21) have performed so on extra events within the competitors’s historical past.
- Manchester Metropolis have adopted up every of their final 9 Premier League defeats on the Etihad with a victory of their very subsequent house sport within the competitors.
- Manchester Metropolis’s Kevin De Bruyne has been instantly concerned in additional Premier League targets in opposition to Southampton than in opposition to every other facet (11 – 4 targets, 7 assists).
- James Ward-Prowse’s equaliser for Southampton (1-1) was the sixth penalty purpose Manchester Metropolis have conceded on the Etihad this season, changing into solely the third facet within the competitors’s historical past to concede six house penalty targets in a season, after Newcastle in 2004-05 and Brighton in 2018-19.
- Manchester Metropolis’s Riyad Mahrez (51) turned the seventh participant to attain 50+ left footed targets within the Premier League (additionally Fowler, van Persie, Giggs, Salah, Lukaku and Giroud).
- Since Ralph Hasenhüttl’s first sport accountable for Southampton in December 2018, solely Newcastle (20) have seen their gamers make extra mixed errors resulting in Premier League targets than the Saints (18).
- Manchester Metropolis’s Ilkay Gündogan scored his tenth league purpose of 2021, considered one of 4 gamers in Europe’s prime 5 leagues to succeed in double figures this yr, after Robert Lewandowski (14), Lionel Messi (12) and Andre Silva (10).
Manchester Metropolis now go to Fulham on Saturday at 8pm within the Premier League, earlier than internet hosting Borussia Monchengladbach within the Champions League last-16 second leg in Budapest.
Southampton now host Brighton at noon on Sunday within the Premier League.